Thursday, March 7, 2013

       Kid Ory has got to be my favorite musician to listen to these days. Upon returning from New Orleans a few weeks ago, I can not shake the feel of The Big Easy from my mind. The music, the vibes, the people. I need to return to New Orleans and live out the rest of my days there.

  I find myself listening to creole jazz and ragtime, much more than I have before. It's become a dominant muse for my art and taxidermy. Relaxing and uplifting to the very bone. Truly has such great emotion, talent and skill pouring out of the musicians and instrument.

   As I listen to a live jazz station, or even YouTube compilations, while I work on a taxidermy diorama, I sometimes imagine my studio as a speakeasy. As odd as it seems, it makes the time go by so much faster and the end product that much more astonishing.

    I leave you with a photo of one of my latest pieces. It has yet to be titled; but will be in exhibition at an upcoming art show in Los Angeles, CA. Be sure to leave comments below, be there any other suggestions on great creole jazz or ragtime artists, new or old!


No comments:

Post a Comment